Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review: "Frostbite" by Richelle Mead

Title: Frostbite
Series: Vampire Academy #2
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Year: 2008
















"Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price..."



I seem to forget how wicked of a writer Richelle Mead is when I stay away for her books for too long. Withdrawal I guess. Or a coping mechanism. Because she really is the best. I have liked every single one of her books. “Frostbite” was no exception. Allow me to explain what made this book so great.

The story picks up right where we left off with the last one. Now that the world for the series has been established, Richelle Mead is gearing up. In this episode gruesome attacks by the Strigoi shake the Moroi and dhampir community. And what do the rich and fabulous do? Hide out in a skiing lodge! You heard that right. Okay it might sound a little silly but the whole thing actually works really well together. Rose gets her man trouble that was on the background of the first book. We meet her mom. And our side-characters get a fair share of action as well. The story is well thought out and the ending sets up a darker mood for the books to come.

Rose is still fun, but is also growing up. Metaphorically speaking, because she can’t help but speak before thinking. And it is still funny. A few times I thought that she is being quite stupid, but the transition period is necessary into cool and collected does not happen overnight.
I really liked Lissa in this book. She is embracing her role in the Moroi society and while she does not get much attention in “Frostbite”, then I have to point out that she is cleaning up good.
Lissa leads me to Christian. He is sort of what Rose is, but male. A lot of one-liners and fun times guaranteed.
I liked that other novices (dhampir-kids) got more attention as well. Mason was a big part of this book. He was a sweet one. In Rose’s position I would have probably done what she did though. Or planned to do. No spoilers.
Dimitri… I still don’t know why I am not rooting for him that much. Oh wait, yes, I do. Adrian. Sir Fabulous has been introduced and once again I love him. He is ridiculously arrogant, self-assured and in this case self-medicated. What’s not to love? But back to Dimitri. He shows his fun side when with Tasha (which pisses Rose off to no end, of course). He was growing on me, with his suppressed lust and all, until Adrian came along. Sorry Dimka. 

While “Frostbite” is the shortest book in the series, it still packs a punch and is a worthy follow-up to “Vampire Academy”. My hands are itching for the next book. I must go, my books need me.

But I almost forgot. Star thingies. Five of em. No doubt.

 This review has been brought to you by your Book Mistress for the day.

-Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment